Wednesday, March 9, 2016

You Raise Me Up


The Romeo x Juliet Song

You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban

Recommended by Lissell

"This is the story of my sister, Vicky, and how she made me feel special. She believed I could make miracles happen. To me, this song is a story of the great love between sisters."

Another beautiful story; thanks again for sharing. I think part of the beauty of this song is that it takes on a different meaning depending on the listener. Art is never just about the work itself - it's about the relationship between the work and the people who consume it. 

You Raise Me Up can be applied to any meaningful relationship, be it familial, romantic, or even religious. I like it best as a church hymn, though it brings tears to my eyes in pretty much any context.

The piece was originally an instrumental piece written by the Irish-Norwegian duo Secret Garden, and I think that comes through in the tune which sounds like maybe it could be a traditional Irish folk song. That string intro is definitely reminiscent of Danny Boy.

The most famous cover is probably the one in the video I attached above. Josh Groban's voice is powerful and perfectly suited to this song, and the mix of strings and piano accompaniment always a winner. And the strength brought in by the addition of a gospel choir - exceptional.

Sometimes I think Groban's voice and the lyrics of grandeur combine to be a little too much, almost cheesy...but if you just roll with it, then it's a truly awesome and uplifting piece of music.

Overview:

Genre:
Apparently Inspirational is a genre.

Favorite Lyrics:
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly.

Verdict:
It's possible that this song created the inspirational genre.

4 comments: