Thursday, March 24, 2016

Disco Devil 12"


She Said Rebel

Disco Devil 12" by Lee Scratch Perry

Recommended by Miranda

"I think this song is really cool because of all the added sounds on top of the music, especially the bubbles. Super funky fresh in the words of Alisa."

Interesting that you separate the "added sounds" from "the music." I would do the same thing. But I wonder, if you talked to the artist, whether he would consider these sounds to be "added...on top of the music" or simply part of the music.

Either way, I agree, the bubbles are a nice touch. My favorite addition is the scratchy (no pun intended, I'm sure) ratchet sound. I'm glad you mentioned these things - the wikipedia article says Perry was a "pioneer" with his use of "effects and remixing."

Song has some serious Caribbean vibes. I immediately thought of Bob Marley, so I wasn't shocked to hear that Perry is a Jamaican artists who worked with Bob Marley and the Wailers. This song has a similar overall sound, thanks to the beat and instrumentation; however, Disco Devil gets a little crazy once we pass the 6 minute marker or so.

This is a great song to just listen and admire what it's like. We don't have to grasp at something that's always going to stay a bit out of reach. It's better to close your eyes and lose yourself in the music and the bubbles and the sound of the voices, rather than the actual words. Appreciate that Perry is kind of a genius.

I mean, listen. It's a party for your ears, and it's awesome. And it's fun. 

Don't try to comprehend the disco devil. Be the disco devil.

Overview:

Genre:
Reggae / Dub

Favorite Lyrics:
You are a disco devil.
I am a disco rebel.

Verdict:
Funky fresh

No comments:

Post a Comment