Friday, March 11, 2016

Famous Last Words


I See What You Did There

Famous Last Words by My Chemical Romance

Recommended by Michael

"This is one of my favorite MCR songs. Idk it just sounds good and feels good..."

The melody in the chorus is great, but before that, the first thing that really stood out to me was the strength of the guitar, so I'm glad it was in Guitar Hero II. Great game.

Next, I always have to mention this when it happens: the title isn't mentioned in the lyrics. This is never done arbitrarily. It's standard to grab a line from the chorus, so coming up with a completely separate (but, you know, related) title is a way of driving home the meaning of the song. In this case, it's about the end of a relationship. "Famous last words."

Also on the topic of lyrics, I think the repetition of certain lines is really effective:

First: But where's your heart?

Then the song repeats to change that part a couple times, finishing with this awesome vocal slide upwards on the word "change." Very cool. I'm so into it.

Plus, okay, apparently the making of this music video was incredibly intense. Wikipedia says that the drummer "sustained second and third degree burns" that "later resulted in gangrene," and the lead singer "tore muscles in his leg and foot" that left him hospitalized for like a week.

So in case you're thinking the song is a little overdramatic, keep in mind that the band doesn't just look and sound hardcore - they live hardcore. That's dedication.

For the record, I think the song is the perfect level of dramatic. Heartbreak is rough no matter what, so I hear. It's not easy listening, but it's big and loud and powerful and, like, good.

Overview:

Genre:
Punk Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
'Cause I'm out here on the other side
of a jet black hotel mirror.

I am not afraid to keep on living.
Verdict:
Straight out of middle school

No comments:

Post a Comment