Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Beth/Rest


LOL How Did I End Up Writing An Essay?

Beth/Rest by Bon Iver

Recommended by Kim

"Bon Iver is without a doubt my favorite band ever. I remember seeing them live back in 2012 and just how magical that whole experience was. I think Bon Iver is one of those bands where the music isn't necessarily all about the lyrics. Don't get me wrong; Justin Vernon is a genius lyricist, but the instrumental elements truly transport me to a different place. I think Beth/Rest in particular has some really awesome things going on instrumentally. It's got this smooth jazz feel, but then again an almost country western vibe with some of the guitar riffs. In some weird way, it all comes together harmoniously and takes me to a peaceful place."

Bro, I am right on that page with you about the lyrics. This song tells its story through general emotion rather than the specific words. And I feel you about the mix of genres, too. Sounds awesome.

The music has this dreamy quality, with the long notes underneath everything, then the guitar riffs going off on their own tangents and the vocals sounding like echoes coming from somewhere off in the distance. The layers give it such a dense texture, I feel like I could swim through it, or float in it.

This song sounds the way I'd imagine mind-reading would sound. The vocal line isn't as clearly in the foreground as I'm used to for music that has lyrics. I feel like if you went into someone else's head, you could try to follow one train of thought (i.e. the lyrics), but you'd keep getting caught up in other feelings and images (i.e. the rest of the music).

So about the lyrics. First of all, you've got vocals that aren't just supported by the instruments, but also quite often competing with them. This makes it a little hard to make out every word. Then, once you kind of figure out what he's saying (I cheated. Thanks AZ Lyrics.), you realize you don't have to make out every word, at least not to enjoy the song.

These lyrics are poetry. It's more about aesthetics and feelings than prose, you know? I could analyze the text, but luckily they've conveniently set it to music that can probably convey the emotion just as well if not better. Eventually, I can look up hawser and coffer and soffit and hocked and axiom, but I don't have to do that in order to enjoy the song.

The last words are spoken at about 4 minutes, and we're here for another minute after that. So I think it's fair to say we can just close our eyes and feel the song. Feel the words, even, without trying to understand them. I think the parts we're meant to connect with will stand out.

Do you listen to the guitar and try to understand it? Nah, you just surrender to it.

Overview:

Genre:
Soft Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Our love is a star.

Verdict:
catch that feelin'

No comments:

Post a Comment