Thursday, March 3, 2016

Miss You


i have 2 tests tomo lol

Miss You by The Rolling Stones

Recommended by Kim

"I was stuck in really bad traffic one day (I'm talking 45 minutes with the car in park on the PRNDL) and this song came on and for some reason it made me feel better. Don't really know why, but it's a good jam. Nothing more classic than the Rolling Stones am I right?"

Sorry about your traffic, Kim. I'm glad you had our friends over at 97.1 The River, Atlanta's Classic Hits to keep you company on your long, painful commute.

So...I didn't think this song would be like this. It starts out pretty true to my expectations with that electric guitar and solid beat that gets you moving a little bit. Not quite dancing. More like bouncing. Or pulsing...with your body. I should stop this train of thought.

Anyway, we get into the thick of it, and I was kind of taken aback on the first listen. Like..."is this early rap?" (It's not. But it may be noted that disco was influential in early Hip-Hop. Source.)

A few listens later, though, I'm down to sing-talk my way through a few verses. I mean:

I've been walkin' Central Park,
Singin' after dark.
People think I'm...crayyyyyzaaeee.

Shufflin' on my feet,
Shufflin' through the street.
*chka chka chka chka chka chka*
"Whatsa matta whichu boy?"

Would it have the same effect if he just sang it normally? No. It would not.

How about iconic passage:

Sometimes. 

Sometimes.

I say.

To myself.

By the end, you're like WHAT? WHAT DO YOU SAY MICK? TELL US.

(I shouldn't draw this parallel, but it reminds me of the end of The Duck Song where the duck repeats do you think this store... three times. And you're like, Please. Just. Say it.)

A few questionable harmonies here and there, but we can roll with it. It's more about that killer bass line, anyway, right?

Also, this is neither here nor there, but after hearing Moves Like Jagger, I was expecting this guy to get a better groove on. Can we talk about this?

Overview:

Genre:
Disco

Favorite Lyrics:
Sometimes I say to myself:
"Oooooh. Oooooh."

Same, Mick. Same.

Verdict:
Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment