Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Jinx


Can't Wait For This Album

Jinx by DNCE

My cousin Carrie actually made me listen to this song before I even thought about starting this blog, and I've been in love with the band ever since. They have like four songs out, but they're all amazing. Highly recommend.

I will order the songs of the Swaay EP for you, in order of how much I like them:

Cake by the Ocean
Toothbrush*
Jinx*
Pay My Rent

*This song can sometimes be #1 on the list depending on the day.

I would've done Cake by the Ocean because it has a music video, but I feel like everyone already knows and loves that song. I wanted to bring out something you maybe haven't heard on the radio every time you get into the car.

Plus, I didn't really want to get into the meaning of that song. This is a family blog. Or is it?

Okay so first of all, do you hear that noise at the beginning there? Is that a kazoo? I don't know. Relish it.

The concept of this song is my favorite thing. It's about this guy who's head-over-heels about his new romantic interest, but he's trying to play it cool.

Normally I would think this is dumb because adults should be able to communicate their feelings, but it's not supposed to be this mature love. It's the crazy, early stages; it's puppy love. The part where you're actin' like a teenage fool no matter how old you actually are.

You know how it is when you're young: "You don't just tell a girl you like her; it makes you look like an idiot."

Plus, it's not about playing hard-to-get. It's more about how it feels too good to be true, and I don't wanna jinx it. It's like a birthday wish. Don't say it out loud or it'll never come true.

All of these references to common superstitions paint the most precious picture of a guy doing the silliest things because he's so lovesick. Fingers cross when I kiss you. Knockin' wood when I miss you. It's endearing, and I love it.

Sweet vocals, sweeter story. Catchy melody, clever lyrics. What more do you want?

Overview:

Genre:
Pop-Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Eyes closed, 11:11 - hoping you will stay.

Verdict:
Like a birthday dream

No comments:

Post a Comment