Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Slit Skirts


Always Love a New Workout Bop

Slit Skirts by Pete Townshend

"It's ironic, crass, sad, and funny. Plus great to listen on repeat for a decent long run on the treadmill."

I liked this song immediately, with that dramatic intro. The part before the entrance of the vocals sounds like it could be "the thinking song" on a game show, like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

The lyrics are an interesting combination of poetic and conversational. The flow of it all sounds like he's chatting with a friend and awkwardly choosing words just to make sure the ends of sentences rhyme. 

But the themes take it a little deeper. I think I caught references to birth control and miscarriages, homophobia, and unfaithfulness. All of which have one common theme: relationships that just aren't working.

As a young, idealistic person who's never entered into a serious relationship, let alone seen one grow stale, I can't really relate to this song. I don't want to relate to it. In fact, it terrifies me. 

This line in particular is raw and painful:

And I know that when she thinks of me, she thinks of me as him.

Followed immediately by this sassy accusation:

But, unlike me, she don't work off her frustration in the gym.

(Seriously, take a second to appreciate that perfectly-crafted shade. Calling this chick out for cheating while explicitly stating that he's better than her...and also kind of implying that she's letting herself go. Early '80s #indirecting.)

And, I mean, the song starts out with the line I was just thirty-four years old. Who wants to believe that they'll be regretting everything by thirty-four? Not me.

No one respects the flame quite like the fool who's badly burned

I guess I have to get burned all by myself. Can't take anyone's word for it. How "millennial" of me.

But you know what we're here for? That chorus. It's catchy as hell, and the person who recommended this song got it right. This is a motivational work out song like no other.

Do you want to be afraid to wear slit skirts before you hit 35? No? Then keep running, b****.

Overview

Genre:
Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Can't pretend that growing older never hurts.

Let me tell you some more about myself. Same.

Verdict:
Now I'm scared of growing up (as if I wasn't already), but it's a good jam.

does he not look like a smoother nicolas cage?

No comments:

Post a Comment