Sunday, March 13, 2016

Hymns Mash-Up


And My Spirit Reborn

Hymns Mash-Up by Anthem Lights

Recommended by Jill

The medley includes the popular Christian hymns "How Great Thou Art," "It Is Well," and "Great is Thy Faithfulness." I already loved this arrangement, but I can only imagine how much more I would have enjoyed it if I had been previously familiar with the hymns.

I'll have to go listen to them. Maybe go to church.

Worship songs often seem to be full of a certain sense of majesty. I don't always connect with Christian rock and other modern genres of worship music (I always feel like religion is supposed to be practiced in a sacred space with candles and Latin), but I can always get behind a simple arrangement like this.

The human voice can be so amazing, and these guys from Anthem Lights really know how to use theirs. The harmonies are balanced and lovely.

This part where it transitions from How Great Art Thou to Great is Thy Faithfulness  is my favorite.

I love how the one voice goes up on great, and I get chills after the moment of silence, when all four voices come in ever so quietly. It's beautiful.

I like the piano accompaniment, too. It sits nicely in the background, never overpowering the vocals. This is perfect not only because we get to hear the guys' voices, but also because it allows the listener to focus on the text which, in a hymn, is quite important.

Overview:

Genre:
Worship

Favorite Lyrics:
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.


Verdict:
Amen.

1 comment: