Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March to the Sea


No Relation to Sherman, I Trust

March to the Sea by Twenty One Pilots

Recommended by Catie

"The beat: is rad.
The song: is sad."

I love the poetry there. Thanks, Catie. Poetic like the song lyrics. Nice.

Anyway, I started listening to this song, and I was like "This is supposed to be a rad beat?" The sparse chords behind a single melodic line? I guess simplicity really does it for some people...

But then it kicks in at about 1:18. You've still got the steady rhythm of the chords, which I figure maybe represents the march to the sea, but now you also have this wild drum beat that just goes off.

And I was like "Ah, yes. Rad."

Speaking of "ah," my favorite thing about this song is the backing vocal line. It sounds like the distant echoes of human voices, which broadens the soundscape and gives the song a cavernous feel. Haunting. It matches the text.

I see a spaceship in the sky
And hear a voice inside my head.

Inside my head with my counterpart.

Can't you just imagine that maybe on some level those background voices are chanting follow me instead?

It's aliens, it's the voice inside your head, it's God...it doesn't matter. The point is that you choose not to fall in line. Because how sad would that be, ignoring the beauty around you, following everyone else, living for approval, or maybe never really living.

We all do it, at some point. Fall in line. But it's good to listen to the other voices when we can.

I've heard a little Twenty One Pilots before. Stressed Out, of course, is all over the place these days, and now I know this one. I'm into it.

Overview:

Genre:
Let's go with Electro Indie Pop.

Favorite Lyrics:
I ask myself the question
Why I fall in line.

Verdict: 
Don't try to be something you're not.

what even is the verdict part of the post anymore? what was it ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment