Friday, March 18, 2016

What Side of Love



What Side of Love by Parachute

Recommended by Grace

"I have been a fan of this band ever since early high school. As you can believe I have listened to their past 3 records too many times to count. This is one of the first songs they released from their new album, Wide Awake, and it is easily their best song to date. I love the production of this one! The gospel choir also adds an interesting depth to the song!"

Grace, I always see you posting about Parachute! I can't believe I never took the time to check them out until now.

I agree about the gospel choir. Adding a choir in general always adds depth just because there are so many voices. It seems like the sound is filling up a bigger space. I also feel like it makes a song sound friendly and welcoming, almost like the addition of multiple voices besides the lead vocalist invites you to join in and sing along.

The organization of the music in relation to the text is also awesome.

The song starts out with the title phrase What side of love are you on? and the lyrics remain in second person for the verses and the chorus.

It's not until the end of the bridge that the vocalist sings Don't give up on taking sides with me. Immediately, there's a change in mood.

There's a change in tone because now it's personal. Up to this point, the song could have been about anyone. It could have been a general "you," advice about love for anyone and everyone. But with that command, or plea, not to give up on me, you realize this guy is singing these lyrics with someone special in mind.

Reflecting this shift toward intimacy, the music softens. The drums back off, and there's just a gently held chord for a second or two. Mainly vocals and a piano for a phrase. Then the beat kicks in again, and we come to my favorite part.

I don't have the best ear for this kind of thing, but I believe there's a modulation when the chorus jumps back in. That is, the song changes into a different key. It's awesome. The higher key combined with a little more of that gospel choir makes it sound positively triumphant.

It feels like a celebration. Like an arrival. An answer to the question posed throughout the song.

The positive side, of course.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
If black and white turn into grey,
Maybe love is just the same.

Verdict:
heart eyes emoji

1 comment: