Monday, March 28, 2016

Girl in a Country Song


Yeah, Baby

Girl in a Country Song by Maddie & Tae

I don't even remember where I heard this song, but I immediately fell in love with it, country twang and all.

The themes are presented in a lighthearted and comical way - especially the music video - but the complaints against misogyny in country music are real and important. Of course, it's not just country music, but that's as good a place as any to start.

The whole reason it works is because of the delivery. These two women are the absolute sassiest singers I've ever heard. Maddie's voice, which, by the way, is lovely, drips with attitude. I'm not always into that thick accent, but it's perfect for this satire on "bro-country" songs.

And the lyrics are really clever in the way they call out common country song scenarios that are actually pretty gross and disrespectful to women if you think about it. I laughed my way through this song on the first listen. Even now that I've played it on repeat for a week, it puts a smirk on my face every time.

You go, ladies!

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
The whole thing is a masterpiece, I swear.

Aww, y'all; we ain't a cliche.
That ain't no way to treat a lady.

Verdict:
Funny but forceful

No comments:

Post a Comment