Sunday, March 20, 2016

Ghost


Same Song Title, Different Song

Ghost by Sir Sly

Anonymous Recommendation

"There's just something about this band and their songs that always hits home to me."

I feel you. I like the sound of this song, but I can't quite put my finger on what I like about it. Is it the melody? The mellow vocals? The synth underneath it all?

This song in one word: cool.

Not cool like "cool story, bro." Not cool like "omg, that's so cool!" More like...the girl that sits in the back of class with her headphones in all the time and seems kind of unapproachable but then when you finally talk to her she's actually pretty nice and smiles at you but not in an overly friendly way. You know? Cool.

I think all the different sounds in the background are the biggest factors in creating the overall mood for the song. It starts off with this deep bass that almost sounds like the whir of an engine, and the humming continues underneath almost the whole song. It's warm and calming. A massage for your mind. Or ears.

I really don't get the lyrics here. I guess it's literally a ghost? A drunk guy talking to the ghost of someone who died in a plane crash? I don't know. It doesn't matter. Just focus on the sound of the synth and let the words flow in one ear and out the other.

Lots of repetition (i.e. you're a ghost) makes it easy to give into the vibe and let go. The Get up. Save face. section particular is incredibly relaxing if you just listen and don't think too much.

Awesome recommendation!

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop/Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Was I too drunk to say what I said to you?
Was I too blind to go and see straight through you?

Verdict:
strangely soothing

No comments:

Post a Comment