Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Your Love


Harry is Also One Of My Favorites

Your Love by The Outfield

Recommended by Kim C.

"This is such a rockin' jam. I love it! It just takes me back to a time when I technically wasn't alive, but I try to live vicariously through John Hughes movies. Just from that opening line, I'm hooked and I gotta sing along."

You're so right - the opening line is a perfect hook. From the title, I didn't think I knew this song, but I recognized it by the time I heard far away. I was singing along by the chorus.

Something about this whole thing sounds super '80s. I think it's the guitar and maybe the vocal tone.

I love the first rendition of the chorus, when the lead vocalist sings I just wanna use your love tonight alone, and then the next line includes the backup vocals. It almost sounds like a call and response type thing, and it builds the sound up beautifully.

This poppy '80s soft rock is one of my favorite styles.

As far as the message goes, this song is whack. It's about a guy propositioning a woman for a one night stand while his girlfriend Josie is on a vacation far away.

While I appreciate that this dude reveals his true intentions (I just wanna use your love tonight), I gotta say he's pretty much the quintessential example of they guy your parents were talking about when they warned you that "boys lie." I mean, he says You know I'd do anything for you. Would you? Would you really? What happens when Josie comes back into town?

"Does he capture his prey? We never find out, but it's clear that Josie deserves better" (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Rock

Favorite Lyrics: 
Just 'cause you're right, that don't mean I'm wrong.

Verdict:
definitely transports you back to the '80s

No comments:

Post a Comment