Monday, May 23, 2016

Humble and Kind


Be Good

Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw

Recommended by JillyJam H.

"What a universal message. Watch the video. So touching...So true. Favorite line...is about mentoring...When you get where you're going don't forget turn back around help the next one in line."

The video certainly drives home the fact that the message is universal. Even if you can't relate to every single lyric in the song, I'm sure you'll find the overarching themes apply to any decent human being.

Full disclosure: I think true humility is overrated, and confidence is key.

But it's obvious that Tim McGraw's just advising us not to get too big for our britches - he even says to let yourself feel the pride. And I can definitely support the idea that no one should carry themselves with an air of conceit and superiority as long as you let yourself take credit when it's due.

The message comes across beautifully in this genre. I don't know if it's the familiarity of the accent or the simplicity of the lyrics, but country music always feels incredibly down-to-earth to me.

Tim McGraw's voice is gentle, and the melody is sweet.

Combined with the video, this song brought a tear to my eye on more than one occasion. I'm on a vacation with my family right now, so the lyric about visiting grandpa really got me tonight.

I also like this simple line from the chorus: I know you got mountains to climb, but always stay humble and kind.

You don't have to be meek, necessarily, or submissive. You can still take on the world. Just remember that being a good person should come first.

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
When you get where you're going,
don't forget turn back around
and help the next one in line.

Verdict:
A little preachy, but genuine

1 comment:

  1. Jill Jam this,song sounds,like you. I see why you like it. Can see you hanging off the dock with Zach listening to this. Very sweet song. Thanks for reviewing Ali. Would have missed a simple yet very sweet song and my phone is,duper annoying with its random comma placements.

    ReplyDelete