Sunday, May 22, 2016

Blessings


Psalm 67

Blessings by Chance the Rapper

Recommended by Skye (kind of. indirectly.)

Chance the Rapper's Coloring Book came out a little over a week ago, and it's full of delightful sounds and inspiring messages. The Verge describes it in a word: "optimistic...Coloring Book looks forward, or above, to some kind of higher power" (x).

Nowhere is this faith and optimism more evident than in Blessings.

Immediately, Jamila Woods sets the tone with an expressed intention to praise God, and the chorus ends on Chance's line, It seems like blessings keep falling in my lap.

At first, I was skeptical. I mean, blessings don't just come out of nowhere, no matter how often you pray.

But then I realized that I was engaging in exactly the opposite kind of thinking that Chance advocates in this song. Sure, I'm not going to get everything I ask for, but that doesn't mean I don't get everything I need.

Blessings, this song asserts, are not money or drugs or worldly possessions. They're the deeper things like faith and love. In the second verse, Chance references his child, who has become his everything.

I'm thinking about health and happiness. And nature. Skye was singing this on our hike up through the woods on top of a mountain, and it was easy to look around and see blessings in the flowers.

Are you ready for your miracle? Good. Because if you look around with the right mindset, you might find that blessings have just fallen into your lap.

Overview:

Genre:
Hip Hop / Gospel

Favorite Lyrics:
I know them drugs isn't close;
ain't no visiting Heaven.

Verdict:
Fake it 'til you make it.
This guy's made it.

3 comments:

  1. Really like this,song. Love the chorus and the trumpet is golden. I usually don't like rap artist but definitely a new fan of Chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly. He popped up in a couple previous song recs on this blog (Sunday Candy & Ultralight Beam), and he was the highlight of those for me. So when Skye mentioned Chance the Rapper's own song, I was ready to go :)

      Delete
    2. Your blog never disappoints.

      Delete