Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Pursuit of Happiness


Explicit Language Alert

Pursuit of Happiness by Lissie

Recommended by Bella

"One of my fave covers."

(Note: Original by Kid Cudi is embedded at the end, and it's the clean version!)

Thanks for sharing, this is amazing! I love her style, and she does some really cool stuff with this song. This part with the Hands on the wheel, uh-uh, f*** that...not in the original. That's all her arrangement, and it's one of my favorite sections of her cover.

Second favorite: the guitar section that follows immediately after. Sounds sick.

And then it's gotta be this bit where she takes off with the melody. It's energetic and powerful, and her voice is killer.

Before she put it in her Covered up with flowers cover album, Lissie performed this song at her live performances. I think it's worth checking out the live version here. And, if you wanna get crazy, you can watch her perform it live with Kid Cudi here (not the best quality, but the energy is spectacular).

Yeah, so that's awesome. Kid Cudi praised Lissie's cover from the very beginning, tweeting a video to her live performance on his official website and calling it "beautiful and extremely flattering."

^RT.

Overview:

Genre:
Folk Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
People told me slow my roll.
I'm screamin' out, F***  that!

Verdict:
I think I found it.

The original (Clean):


Pursuit of Happiness ft. MGMT & Ratatat by Kid Cudi

P.S. I can't end an entry without commenting on the lyrics at least a little bit. I appreciate that this is a song about partying but also recognizing that everything that shines ain't always gonna be gold. Which I take to mean that partying is fun but it's not the end goal. The problem is that you could get stuck there, in a bed full of sorrow...a reference to that cycle of partying, getting a temporary fix every night and ending up hungover the next day. I'll be fine once I get it, but we're hung up in that pursuit.

P.S.S. I don't care what Kid Cudi does or says - do not drive drunk.

1 comment: