Monday, May 2, 2016

Lost Stars


Always Reminds Me of My Uncle

Lost Stars by Adam Levine

Recommended by Cathy

"It's romantic, hopeful, tragic, and - like Adam's voice - beautiful."

I know, right? That falsetto is way up in the atmosphere, I swear...

It was actually written for Begin Again, which is a really adorable movie and worth watching. It was nominated for an Oscar at the 2015 Academy Awards, where I'm pretty sure it was performed live. 

I also remember Adam performing this on The Voice with Matt McAndrew at some point (here). This Matt kid has an amazing voice, but it still kinda gives you a new appreciation for Adam's talent when you hear them sing that I thought I heard you out there crying part side by side.

This song always makes me cry. I love the simple guitar + vocals at the start, but when the piano comes in during the chorus, it's almost overwhelmingly emotional. And that's without taking into account the passionate vocals or the heart-wrenching lyrics. 

Listen I just really love this song okay.

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young.

It's such a paradox, right? But it's also something we can all relate to. Even if you choose to live without regret, I think we can agree that there are things we would do differently if we could go back. Even if the only thing we would change is to enjoy things more, not take them for granted.

I'm a sucker for anything related to feelings of nostalgia. It's a generational thing.

This song is about searching for meaning even though sometimes it seems like everyday is nothing but a step closer to the end. It's about feeling deeply even if it hurts and moving forward even if it seems pointless. It's about new love. It's about hope.

It seems like it touches on every single one of my favorite heartstrings, and my soul accepts it.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Don't you dare let our best memories bring you sorrow.

Turn the page, maybe we'll find a brand new ending.

Verdict:
Sad but still always gonna light up the dark

4 comments:

  1. When I first heard this song, it made me cry too. There is something about Adam's voice and I guess relating it to the movie that brings it out of me. Or perhaps just the sweetness of the song, or perhaps the memory of seeing it performed live with a group of people that I really care about...it's one of my all time favorite songs...listening to it now...

    ReplyDelete