Thursday, May 26, 2016

Juicebox


Broken Straws

Juicebox by The Strokes

Recommended by Katie S.

I feel like we haven't had a true rock song on here before, so thanks, Katie. This is a good one to get us started on that guitar-heavy hard rock train.

Julian Casablancas in Spin Magazine says, "I remember people saying this track's ugly, I think it's got a great personality" (x). I see both sides of that. When it first opened up on that low, dark bass line, I got a little scared. A few listens later, once you know what to expect, the intro isn't half as jarring.

It lightens up when the vocals enter, and there are sections where the melody is actually quite clear and pleasant and lovely.

I want to say this sounds like something I'd here at a grungy bar, teens in ripped jeans bobbing their heads rhythmically as they try to cover the X marks on their hands...But I would be mistaken. Juicebox actually made it onto the US Billboard Hot 100 in the 2000s. (x)

Do not underestimate the appeal of post-punk revival jams. #wordstoliveby

Overview:

Genre:
Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Why won't you come over here?
We got a city to love.

Verdict:
Time to start a band in my garage

No comments:

Post a Comment