Thursday, May 5, 2016

Billion


Lion King Vibes?

Billion by Mat Kearney

Recommended by Brittany B.

"Billion was released over a year ago, and I still listen to it all of the time. It kills me that this song never got radio play because it had the potential to be a pop hit. His voice and the lyrics and the beat...ugh...this song has all of the ingredients to be a Billboard number one."

I love the opening, with the choral do do do do do do do do that sounds almost hymnal. It lifts me up immediately and only takes me higher.

By which I mean it takes my mood higher. It's an upbeat song with a very positive energy. I haven't stopped smiling since I started playing this track, and I'm on my second and a half listen.

My room mates are listening along, and they swear it sounds like Coldplay. I don't hear that so much. If we're comparing this song to other stuff, I feel more American Authors, just because of its blatant optimism (ah, young love). Remember that one song, Gonna be the best day of my li-i-ife? It was all over the radio.

But Kearney has those rap sections to break up the poppy chorus, keep it from being too much.

Speaking of the American Authors being all over the radio though, let's bring it back to what Brittany said...Girl, yes. I agree so much; this could easily have been a pop hit (I think that's why I'm so into it). I mean, the straightforward boy-loves-girl lyrics, the catchy melody...Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't inescapable!

Hope this song brightens your night, as it did mine :)

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / Hip-Hop

Favorite Lyrics:
Seven billion in the world, Baby. I only wanna be with you.

Verdict:
cute and optimistic

2 comments:

  1. YESSS MAT KEARNEY!!! Go listen to the rest of the album SO GOOD (this is Grace)

    ReplyDelete