Tuesday, May 10, 2016

No Fucking Around


If I'd Obeyed to This Song, Maybe It Wouldn't Be 6:30AM Right Now

No Fucking Around by Rafter

Recommended by Brad

"Just a good song in my opinion. It really does inspire me to stop fucking around and get stuff done. I don't listen to very often, but when something needs to be done it's there...Here is the official music video (I actually just saw it for the first time now looking it up for this - and it's a lot stranger than I expected...)"

I know it was part of the side note, but I had to include the aside about the music video because yes, lol. It was so strange.

Of course, this whole song was strange for me. Certainly unexpected. The website where I looked up the lyrics just listed the genre as pop, so I figured it was going to be some generic bubble gum radio pop. But nah son, this is different.

When I listened to it last night, I couldn't even tell if I liked the song or not because the only thing I was feeling was surprise at all the voice filters. Y'all, that opening is straight up scary in the middle of the night if you're not prepared.

Anyway, I like it better now. I really dig the strength of the beat, really makes you want to stand up and move. Do something. Stop F***ing around, if you will.

The lyrics are actually so lovely. For all that the chorus is vulgar, the verses are sweet. It's a second-person anthem celebrating someone at their best and their worst, honoring their idiosyncrasies and insecurities.

I take it as kind of a love song, where the title refers to not playing games. I raise my glass to you, and I mean it. I'm in this because I really care about you.

Also, this part kills me. If you listen closely, you can hear the regular voice (the one that sings during the verses) singing in the background with the techno-distorted voice, kind of like a human-demon duet. For some reason, I find this hilarious.

Please take into consideration the fact that it is finals week and I am running on very little sleep.

Until next time <3

Overview:

Genre:
Techno Indie Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
For all the things that people look to you to do that only you can do,
I raise my glass to you
Verdict: kinda crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment