Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Fuck You


All My Crew Hates All of You

Fuck You by Lily Allen

"Rarely do I think 'fuck you' can be eloquently appropriate, but Lily's lyrics have a great message, and it's really fun to sing along to the chorus."

I thought about censoring this one, or at least the post title, but you know what? It's 3:00am, and I've spent the past two days studying for a final that I'm taking in five hours. So yeah. Fuck you.

Not you.

Just like. In general.

Anyway, I still wouldn't call this song eloquent, but I agree that the message is pretty good. And it absolutely is the most fun thing to sing along to if you're frustrated.

First of all, there's interest generated in the dissonance between the sound and the words. Musically, you've got that bouncy, upbeat piano accompaniment underneath Lily Allen's adorable accented voice. But then the lyrics are straight-up salty. Like, super salty.

Second, it's fun because it's...naughty. I kind of hate that word, but it's accurate. This song drops hella F-bombs, which is unexpected and pretty rude. And that makes it more fun. Don't ask me why. It's like that teenage rebellion concept.

Apparently, it was originally written to make a political statement. Wikipedia has conflicting reports about it bashing a certain U.S. president or a British political party.

But, like, aside from the social progressivism (e.g. love wins), I think this song is more fun without the political baggage. I prefer to think it's about a bad breakup, romantic or otherwise. Or maybe it's the end of a semester, and you can finally stop seeing your a****** lab partner. 

Or, most likely, it's even shallower than that. Maybe you're just in a bad mood today and don't want to talk to anyone.

No one wants your opinion.

I like how the song uses the plural first-person. It's not just me who thinks you suck; it's me, Brittany, Louisa, Jess, and Amber.

'Cause we hate what you do, and we hate your whole crew, so please don't stay in touch.

Savage.

Let's end on a largely unrelated quote from Lily Allen herself: "We are the youth, we can make coolness for our future, it's up to us. Go green and hate hate."

Not sure if saying F You approximately a million times over the course of 3 minutes is the best way to promote the message of "hating hate," but whatever. It's better than keeping it all bottled up.

Overview:

Genre:
Dance-Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Please don't stay in touch.

Verdict:
Who watches their language when they're angry, anyway?

I gotta write the next post ASAP to get the F word off the top of my homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment