Saturday, May 14, 2016

Ava



It's My Blog and I'll Party If I Want To

Ava by Cœur de pirate

This song is sweet and sophisticated, and I'm in love. 

Obviously, it's in French (the artist is from Quebec). I don't speak French, so I won't get too deep into the lyrics. You can't trust translations sometimes. As far as I can tell, it's about a girl named Ava who keeps going back to this relationship with someone who doesn't treat her very well, but it's from the perspective of an outsider, maybe a friend. "Oh, Ava..."

You can hear the sixties influence immediately. One critic said of the album that the retro vibe "straddles the line between dated and timeless" (x). This song falls on the "timeless" side for me. I can hear it being performed in the background at any nice restaurant or bar, and I can imagine it in any modern movie.

I thought at first that it could be used in a perfume commercial, but then I realized that was just because it's in French. The retro inspiration does make the song feel refined, but I think it's also very down-to-earth and approachable.

Ava is probably gorgeous and elegant and chic, but she could also be your friend.

Another critic was talking about the album, but I think it's applicable to this track in particular. They says, "there's a melancholy that lingers just beneath the surface" despite the song being "one of the happiest, swingy-est, warmest." (x)

I don't think I've been more delighted by a song in a while. It's not often that something inspired by the sixties makes me think "Oh, that's refreshing." But here we are.

Overview:
Genre:

Retro-Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Tu aimes sans âme.

Verdict:
Lovely and romantic sound <3

1 comment: