Thursday, May 12, 2016

Can't Take My Eyes Off You


Funky Fresh Take

Can't Take My Eyes Off of You by Lauryn Hill

"There are many artists that have recorded this song; of course Frankie Valli's version is the most well known probably. I enjoy Lauryn's rendition from the movie Conspiracy Theory because it's softly intense. Evokes a lot of emotion from me...If that makes any sense."

That makes perfect sense!

In high school, we sang a song called John Saw the Number, and there was a section that was super quiet. Pianissimo, I think. But despite being the softest part of the song, it was probably the most energetic.

It reminds me of a fight scene, where one character is going into a frenzy, trying to fight someone, but their friends are holding them back. It's this great passion, but it's contained. Like an angry whisper.

Okay, wow, where was I even going with this? Yes, "softly intense" makes perfect sense. Lauryn's rendition is much more understated but still quite evocative.

Lauryn's version is actually a little faster in the verses, but it keeps it much more controlled during the chorus; whereas the Franki Valli version really takes off when the big band comes in, and the I love you, Baby! is huge.

I have some loyalties to the original...I mean, it's a classic. And I've seen Jersey Boys a few too many times, you know? But Lauryn's brings a really cool twist. She was even nominated for a Grammy for this song in 1999. That's impressive. (x)

Let me tell you, the intro to Lauryn's version frightened me, but it got better. I like hearing this song in a female voice, and I particularly like it in her voice. It's smooth and, like, sultry. Seriously, the way she sings Baby...it's like it's heavy on her tongue, and she doesn't quite want to let it go. I don't know how to really describe it, but it gives her voice a warm, rich tone.

Anyway, it's a beautiful love song that's been covered countless times. Enjoy it.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / Blue Eyed Soul

Favorite Lyrics:
if it's quite alright

Verdict:
I love this song for many reasons, not the least of which is the following scene from the greatest high school movie of all time, 10 Thing I Hate About You.


2 comments:

  1. 10 Things I Hate About You a must see annually with my daughter's. Allie Rae loves Heath Ledger. Bella reminded me it's also in Drop Dead Gorgeous movie. YouTube Denise Richards Drop Dead Gorgeous. It's hilarious. Takes a minute to get going. Thanks again for your blog. Enjoy your it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my god. Jesus on wheels, I can't believe they went there. Thanks again for your loyal readership. You bring a lot of good ideas to the comments section :)

      Delete