Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Low Rider


Surprise Double Whammy

Low Rider by War

Recommended by A.R.K.

"Love the movie A Knight's Tale because of Heath Ledger and soundtrack."

I, too, love A Knight's Tale for those two reasons. I mean, Heath Ledger is amazing, and there's no way to dislike a movie set in the Middle Ages with a soundtrack made up primarily of classic rock. It's perfect.

Low Rider has also been used in 14 other movies, and you can check the list here. This song is so poppin' that it's probably worth watching the whole movie just to hear it. Someone should make a compilation of all 15 scenes that use this song and put it on Youtube. It would get to 1,000,000 views solely from me watching it on repeat.

Wikipedia says "the song's most distinguishable feature is its driving baseline," and that's super real.

Also cool: Apparently the sound of this funky track draws from Latin rock because the subject matter deals with Chicano culture. Nice symmetry there. (x)

Don't worry too much about the lyrics. Just accept that the riff will be stuck in your head for the next several days, and imagine yourself driving around in one of these babies:






Overview:

Genre:
Funk

Favorite Lyrics:
The low rider is a little higher.

Verdict:
Fun and funky fresh
-
-
-
-
-
-
Honorable Mention: War by The Cardigans

For some reason when I saw you mention Heath Ledger, my mind replaced "A Knight's Tale" with "10 Things I Hate About You." I love both movies, but I just did Can't Take My Eyes Off You a couple of entries ago, so my mind was on Padua High.

Anyway, I was looking up your song, and I thought it was War by Lowrider instead of vice versa. Coincidentally there is a song called War on the "10 Things I Hate About You" soundtrack. Go figure.



Very different feel. Female vocals. Pop rock. Definitely fits the "10 Things" mood.

2 comments: