Monday, May 9, 2016

Father and Daughter


Happy Mother's Day!

Father and Daughter by Paul Simon

"This song is just so sweet! It always makes me think of my dad and brings back fond memories from my childhood."

Okay, so I was a little off with my predictions for this song. Yes, it does make me feel a bit nostalgic, but the music is more upbeat than I expected. You're right; sweet is the right word. This brings up more "feel good in the moment" emotions than anything. 

Under the right circumstances (e.g. moving out of your family home to go to college or a wedding), it could bring a tear to my eye, but on a regular day, I can barely even feel that hint of sorrow creeping in around the edges.

It's hard to be too sad when you have such delightful melodies, positive lyrics, and easy, breezy guitar riffs.

It makes sense that this song was written about Paul Simon's daughter Lulu, but I didn't realize that it was actually written for The Wild Thornberry's Movie. It was even nominated for an Oscar. (x)

Anyway, it's a true family affair. Though it was written about Lulu, the song doesn't leave Simon's son out. Adrian sings harmony on the track with his father. That's precious. (x)

You can really feel the love in this song, so I think it does what it's supposed to do.

Overview:

Genre:
Folk Rock Ballad

Favorite Lyrics:
Just open your window and follow your memory upstream.

Verdict:
Makes me appreciate my dad

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this song! you're right about the wedding thing. i've considered it using it in the future for my father daughter dance at my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be perfect for that! Many tears, but happy tears :')

      Delete