Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Hide Away


Every Rock Is Our Home

Hide Away by Daya

Recommended by Nisha, Cynthia, & Michelle

"Lyrics speak some truth."

"I moved my daughter into NYC after graduating from Villanova, and then we drove her car back to Atlanta. over two days we drove 16+ hours. Allie Rae played this a couple of times. I just like it ;) Love road trips. Hope my Allie Rae finds where the good ones hide."

I've never had three separate individual suggestions for a single song before. Congrats, Daya. Your song speaks to people.

I love the sound of this song.

First of all, Daya's voice is awesome. This was her debut single, but it sounds like I've heard her on the radio forever (in a good way). She comes on strong when needed, and she also works some magic with those light high notes.

Then, the rhythmic synth line underneath it all ensures that the song is club-ready. I hear it, and I'm ready to go out downtown and dance right into someone's arms.

(Or not, if the good ones are all still hiding away.)

The overall message is great, too. It recognizes the way guys seem to be drawn to the stereotypical party girl, but it empowers young women to not change who they are to fit that mold. If you're a good, good girl then you don't have to get undressed before the second date.

(But if you're into that casual, sex-on-the-first-date life, then keep doing your thing, ladies.)

Just remember to tune out the line where she says he's gonna save my life superman. Ain't nobody gonna do that.

If you expect someone to swoop in and fix all of your problems, then maybe you need to stop asking where do the good boys go to hide away? and start realizing that your dream date doesn't exist. I'm not saying for you to lower your standards, just look for someone who's going to complement you, not save you. You're fabulous and don't need fixing.

But, like, what do I know. I'm living that single life, too. If you find the hiding place, let me know what's up.

Overview:

Genre:
Synthpop

Favorite Lyrics:
Guessin' I just don't know where to find 'em,
but I hope they all come out tonight.

Verdict:
Don't worry, you'll find what you're looking for eventually.
...but the wait is easier listening to this song.

1 comment:

  1. had a mini obsession with this song for a while! what a jam!

    ReplyDelete