Saturday, May 7, 2016

Style


We Were On A Break

Style by Taylor Swift

Recommended by Harold

"This song just speaks to me. What a great writer Taylor is! And so accomplished at such a young age. Bravo. Brava!"

I think most of us are familiar with this song. It was all over the radio and high up in the Billboard Charts. And once you hear it, it stays with you. It's catchy and fun, and it's a bit less innocent than Taylor's previous music. (Just like the rest of 1989. It's a great album. Grammy-winning, you know.)

I mean, remember when she was shyly watching Drew in Teardrops on My Guitar? And now here she is, with some guy who takes me home, lights are off, he's taking off his coat.

Like, okay, yes it's just his coat. But why are the lights off, hm? I think we know. And just listen to how breathy her voice is! I see you. Go for it, girl.

Taylor comments on her character development in relation to this song:
It's basically one of those relationships that's always a bit off ... The two people are trying to forget each other. So, it's like, "All right, I heard you went off with her," and well, I've done that, too ... My previous albums have also been sort of like, "I was right, you were wrong, you did this, it made me feel like this"—a righteous sense of right and wrong in a relationship. What happens when you grow up is you realize the rules in a relationship are very blurred and that it gets very complicated very quickly, and there's not a case of who was right or who was wrong. (x)
That's so real, I love it. Honestly, nothing is black and white.

The line she mentioned is one of my favorite parts of the song, as far as the story goes. You've got this on-again, off-again couple. They aren't really together, but they're still keeping tabs on each other. Maybe they're even trying to be "just friends." But then in a moment of weakness, the girl calls the guy out for seeing someone else. 

She probably tried to be casual about it, like hey so...you and emma...

And he was probably like, lol i mean its no diff than u and jon

And then, I guess, they probably went home together and regretted it the next morning because What ARE we? What even IS this?

I'm very invested.

But more than anything, I just like the way this song sounds. 

That intro has some funk to it, and the piano chords during the pre-chorus are super comforting. The vocals are awesome, especially during the first pre-chorus and the end of the second verse. That breathiness gets me.

We're upbeat and jamming throughout the whole song, but when we finally arrive at the repeated Take me homes of the bridge, it just takes off. It's ecstatic. It's the on-again part of the relationship, where they're like "This is a bad idea, but I don't care."

I should just tell you to leave 'cause I know exactly where it leads, but I watch us go 'round and 'round each time.

Even if you've never been in that kind of relationship - and, honestly, it sounds super annoying and unstable and confusing - I'm sure you've witnessed one like it. Your high school lab partner who always came into class with new boy drama. Your favorite celebrities. Ross and Rachel.

Good jam.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Could end in burning flames or paradise. (Honestly, what's the difference?)

Verdict:
I can never tell if I really relate to Taylor Swift songs or if I just wish I did.
Alternatively:
This song will never go out of style.

There are several sources that suggest this song is about Taylor's relationship with Harry Styles, and there are some reliable context clues. But I definitely shouldn't get into that. Attach your own meaning to the song; it's more fun that way anyhow.

2 comments: