Saturday, April 30, 2016

Love Ain't Gonna Let You Down


Sweet and Sour

Love Ain't Gonna Let You Down by Jamie Cullum

Recommended by Michelle

"Ok. I lied. I promised not to bog your blog with submits of my songs BUT many of Jamie's songs are just lovely and soothing and wonderful - too lovely not to be shared. Not that I'm opinionated or anything."

"Lovely" and "soothing" are exactly the words I would use to describe this song. It's absolutely beautiful. I love bittersweet stories like this.

It's a love story, and I'm happy that the future looks so bright...but at the same time, it's clear that this guy's lover has been hurt in the past. He sounds poignant and empathetic, and it makes my heart hurt. But it also makes my heart happy. It's complicated.

I always love an artist with a great voice and a talent for expressing emotion. In this case, Jamie expresses emotion not only with his voice, but also with the way he plays the piano. It feels incredibly intimate, which isn't always easy to achieve. I'd love to go see this guy live in concert.

Update:
I meant to mention this, but it completely slipped my mind last night.

I'll be your Fabrice without the war.

I believe this line is a reference to The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Milford. It's about an "upper-class English family" between the world wars. The main character is the middle child, Linda, who goes through two marriages before finally finding "the great love of her life" in Fabrice, a wealthy French duke. (x)

It seems like a bizarrely obscure reference to me, but maybe I'm just not cultured enough for this song. Or maybe it's because Jamie Cullum is an Englishman, and there's a cultural disconnect.

Either way, now we know.

Overview:

Genre:
Singer-Songwriter

Favorite Lyrics:
Everyone knows that I'm rightfully yours.

Verdict:
fills my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment