Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Elysian


Not Western Art Music, But Still Art

Elysian by Giraffage

Recommended by Kim

"Just kinda curious what you'd do with a non Western Art Music piece that had zero lyrics."

Lazy writing or not, I think we should start off with a definition.

Elysian adjective
of, relating to, or characteristic of heaven or paradise.

I think that about sums it up. Even before the light, glockenspiel-esque sound shows up around 1:47, it's a really pretty piece. Nice. Shiny.

And it's from an album called Comfort, which suits it quite well.

Should I keep going with this lazy writing thing? 

"pleasantly ambient" x

"bedroom dream-pop" x

"Dream-pop." I like that. It really does feel pretty dreamy, especially at the beginning where you can kind of hear voices but it's impossible to make out what they're saying. It's like a memory from the middle of the night, when you only opened your eyes for half a second and never truly woke up.

Also dreamlike: the way the ending seems unfinished. When's the last time your alarm rang and you felt like your dream had closure? I thought not.

The funky electro sounds are perfect, too. Particularly that thunder-sheet-type noise. That's the wobbly one that kind of sounds like you're covering and uncovering your ears really fast. In a lunchroom cafeteria or something, where it's loud. Cool stuff.

I just re-read that last paragraph, and I don't think I made sense at all, but I also don't know how to fix it. Just enjoy the quotes I posted and listen to the music, y'all.

Thunder Sheet



Overview:

Genre:
Electronic

Verdict:
Chillest and illest

No comments:

Post a Comment