Thursday, April 28, 2016

Traveller


Take Two for Stapleton

Traveller by Chris Stapleton

Recommended by Kim M.

"I'm a sucker for a good song about the journey of life. His voice and the girl doing backup vocals are fire! Their voices together make me drift away to my happy place."

Me, too. To all of that. They sound perfect, and the lyrics are equally beautiful.

I love that you said this is a "song about the journey of life." That's exactly what it is. When he says I couldn't tell you honey, I don't know / where I'm going but I've got to go, it's not because he's a literal nomad. He's moving onto new experiences, not necessarily new locations.

He's going further, not farther.

Although, I mean, he could be physically travelling, too. That's one of my more outlandish goals, to spend a year or something on the road. I want to visit every state. I want to be a traveller.

But, of course, physical travel is about the search for new experiences more than anything.

Stapleton's vocals are warm and full, and he sounds great over the soothing guitar. The harmonizing vocals were a stellar idea not only because they sound great together but because she adds to the narrative of the song. She, I imagine, is the girl from the first verse.

Here she comes, and then she's gone again.

The whole package makes for a nice down-to-earth, mild but emotional track.

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
Always lost and nowhere-bound.

Verdict:
words to live by

WAIT what if the entire song is from the point of view the girl in the first verse? I think maybe it is. I can't believe this. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Morgane Stapleton, Chris's wife is the woman singing harmony. She has been singing with Chris for years, which is probably why they sound so good together...and I think he is singing about her as well...love it!

    ReplyDelete