Saturday, April 16, 2016

Blue Bayou


Lago Azul

Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt

Recommended by Mom

"I loved singing this song as a kid - just loved it. I had the album, and she had the the back up singers from one of my fav bands, The Eagles, before they formed their own band. A contestant on The Voice sang it this season, and Dad loves the song now too! Lol...funny that we like it from such different situations, but it's a good one! 😊 ...see whatcha think - you didn't like my last rec so much! 😜"

When you say "Dad loves the song," do you mean my dad or your dad?

That's cool how Glenn Frey (RIP) and Don Henley decided to form a band while on tour as accompanists for Linda Ronstadt (x). You really were an Eagles fan from the very beginning.

Also interesting: Before it became Linda Ronstadt's "signature song," Blue Bayou was co-written and recorded by Roy Orbison. It was an international hit almost 15 years before Linda covered it.

She does a really good job, though, and I understand why her version did so well. Her voice is beautiful, and it sounds perfect on some of those higher notes.

The song itself is lovely, too. The steady bass is relaxing, like you're in a little boat on that blue bayou at sunset, paddling slowly back to shore. It has a similar vibe to Under the Boardwalk, but more emotional. Nostalgic.

It really is sad, though. She's working so hard, 'til the sun don't shine, just living for the day that she gets to go back to Blue Bayou. But that's a sad way to live, always for tomorrow and never for the moment. Who knows if she'll ever get to go back? I hope she does.

My favorite part is when she gets to the very end, my dreams come true on blue bayou, and she takes it up to that high note. So good.

Overview:

Genre:
Country rock ballad

Favorite Lyrics:
I'm going back someday, come what may.

Verdict:
a sunset in a song

2 comments: