Thursday, April 7, 2016

How I Know You


This Show Was So Sad

How I Know You from Aida

Recommended by Sara

I can't believe this is my 100th post, and it's the first time I'm suggesting a song from a musical.

I love this style, the power and the emotion and the overall intensity. I love the way they're acting just as much as singing, the clear enunciation that draws your focus to the lyrics (pay special attention to the crisp consonants).

The way it becomes a duet at the end is my favorite thing. It adds to the drama, you know.

You don't know me...
Yes, I know you...
You don't know me!
How I know you!

Such tension!

Okay, this song is a lot of exposition that doesn't make a lot of sense without the context of the show, but we'll work with it. Here, I'll give you a little synopsis (spoiler alert):

The guy here, Mereb, has been an Egyptian slave for a while, and the girl is newly captured. The guy recognizes her immediately because he grew up in her hometown and - surprise - she is actually the Nubian princess Aida!

She doesn't want Mereb to make a big deal out of it, since she would probably be killed if the Egyptians knew they had captured a Nubian princess...but Mereb thinks the other Nubian slaves have the right to know because it might help them maintain that spark of hope for freedom.

Now, I'm just a slave like you...

You remain a princess in any time or place.

That's it, that's the entire song.

Doens't it have a lovely sound, though? Aida's voice is incredible, and the instrumental intro/outro is my favorite sound ever.

Overview:

Genre:
Musical Theater

Favorite Lyrics:
You remain a princess in any time or place.

Verdict:
I get that it's not for everyone, but I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment