Sunday, April 24, 2016

Don't Kick the Chair


Cognitive Dissonance

Don't Kick the Chair by Dia Frampton ft. Kid Cudi

Recommended by Bella

"My brother sister and I used to jam together to this, and it's a fun, catchy, upbeat song with a great message."

You're right; it is fun, catchy, and upbeat. So much so that I didn't think about the implications of the title for a good minute. I was imagining that it meant don't kick the chair out of anger or frustration, similar to the way you might pull your hair out or punch through the drywall. 

I didn't realize that it was actually a reference to suicide. When you're going to hang yourself, you stand on a chair, put a noose around your neck, and then push the chair away.

Full disclosure: Dia Frampton herself said that the phrase was used casually at home to mean "don't give up," so I guess that's why the optimism outweighs the darker implications. (x)

But still. If you look at the lyrics, the dark themes aren't exactly hidden. You've got powerful descriptions of situations where you feel lonely and hopeless and depressed.

like the whole damn world is a braided rope in a noose around your neck

There's discussion of having to say goodbye to a love that could save a life.

Dia Frampton didn't mean for it to be that deep, though. Or, at least, she didn't mean for you to dwell on the pain that led to you tying a rope around your neck. You're supposed to be left embracing the strength that it takes to untie it. You're supposed to be left enjoying the spirited, uncontrollable joy that you can hear in the catchy melody and the lively drums.

I take issue with Kid Cudi's part, though. The repeated line: You can be better all by yourself.

Listen. I'm sure what he means by this is that you don't need a romantic partner. I mean, earlier, the song mentions a break-up with someone that you thought was your soul mate. But guess what? You don't need them. You're fine all by yourself.

Or if that's not it, then maybe he just means it like, "Don't be overdramatic. Get up. You're fine." Which, you know, a little insensitive. But still a fair point in a song that mentions how cruel the world can be. You don't need anyone else's approval. Be strong, and pull yourself up by your bootstraps.

But my initial thought when I heard him say You don't need no help; you can be better all by yourself was that he was kind of trivializing the idea of therapy. I'm now thinking that this is NOT what he meant, but I'm still going to move forward with this train of thought.

He even says if you gotta think twice about life, something really ain't right. I agree. But, y'all, if you have to think twice about whether you want to live? Then maybe you DO need help. And that's okay. Therapy is actually really wonderful.

Anyway, I think I read way too far into this song. But, hey, I only do that when I really like a song, so that's cool. 

Just listen to Dia Frampton's adorable, bubbly voice, and remember that it's gonna get better.

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
It can only get better.

Verdict:
The lighthearted pop sound belies darker themes, but either way it's a positive song in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment