Saturday, April 2, 2016

Can't Stop


Don't Stop, Won't Stop

Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Recommended by Carly

"One of the Red Hot's best songs."

I'm really into this beat. Right from the outset, the guitar establishes a rhythm that has me nodding my head in time. Then we get to the first verse, and the vocalist starts rapping, so the focus is still on rhythm more than anything else.

I didn't expect the rapping. When I hear Red Hot Chili Peppers, I think of Dani California. They definitely sing rhythmically in that song, but it's not quite spoken like Can't Stop. 

I like the rapping in the verses a lot. It helps the melodic chorus and bridge to stand out, and it lets you hear the guitar and bass really well. It would be a shame to lose that fresh funk.

The lyrics are pretty fun. I don't think there's any way you can lose when you use the words shindig and bebop.

Every now and then, I can tell they were kind of reaching to make sure they could keep the rhythm going...

Come back strong with 50 belly dancers.

...and a lot of the lines seem connected by nothing. Sort of a stream of consciousness.

But let's be real: they are reaching to fit the rhythm. And that's not a bad thing. It sounds really, really good. Even if successive lines are a little disjointed, the overall message is clear: Live it up.

Last but not least, I love how the song ends. The instrumental drops out and we get nothing but vocals on silence for the last two lines.

And then it just.

Overview:

Genre:
Funk Rap / Punk Rock Rap

Favorite Lyrics:
This punk, the feeling that you stay for.

Use my hands for everything but steering.

Ever wonder if it's all for you?

Verdict:
I'm addicted to this shindig.

No comments:

Post a Comment