Saturday, April 30, 2016

You Are the Sunshine of My Life


Funky Fresh

You Are the Sunshine of My Life by Stevie Wonder

Recommended by Lola

"At the time when my daughter was born, 1967, [Stevie] was also having a daughter. I loved the song, the beat, and that time of my life. When I had a granddaughter, many years later, I still liked the song."

This song is beautiful, and so is that story! Now whenever I hear this song, I'll think of you, Lola.

I'm really glad you shared that because it changed the entire way I look at this song. It's easy to say that it's about a romantic relationship, especially with the addition of Gloria Barley's voice playing the role a lover.

But now that you've introduced me to the option, I love the idea of this song being about a familial or even platonic relationship. Because really my friends are the sunshine of my life, and I can imagine a child being the apple of my eye.

Listening to this song has always made me happy because it sounds funky and fun, and Stevie's voice is smooth and lovely. But now I have deeper emotional ties to the lyrics, and that's awesome.

Overview:

Genre:
Soul / Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
How could so much love be inside of you?

Verdict:
I like thinking about it from a parent's perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Stevie Wonder one of my favorites. I enjoy your blog for many reasons. Today it touched my heart to read why your beautiful Lola likes this song. So appreciative of your willingness to work hard and share this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her story, too! That's been one of my favorite parts about this whole thing...hearing people's stories through their connections with certain songs. This blog is almost as much about people as it is about music.

      Delete