Friday, April 8, 2016

Just Fine


Such a Good Thursday Into Friday Song

Just Fine by Mary J. Blige

Recommended by Irene

"It's happy, and it makes you be calm. Like everything's gonna be okay."

This song is awesome.

It sounds awesome, first of all. Mary J. Blige has a great voice, and I love the rhythm of these lines.

We've got that internal rhyme (So I like what I see when I'm looking at me) and it's so good.

We've got whatever this is:

Can't let nobody take it away 
from you 
from me 
from we.

So good.

Plus, that beat is bumpin'. You gotta move, you know? If you just listen and make no conscious effort to stay still, I promise you'll dance a little bit, even if it's just tapping your finger against your leg.

Moving on from pure sound aesthetic (is that a thing?), this song is a lyrical masterpiece. You can see what Mary J. Blige herself had to say about it:

"That song was written based on me having a good day. You know, I can have 20 bad days. I can have as many bad days as anyone. But I choose to say, 'I'm just fine.' Right now. So it's OK to have those days. So instead of coming with something ungrateful to the universe, how about I come with something first that's says, 'You know what? It's OK. Enjoy this day if you're having a great day." x

If you are a living person, then you can relate to that. Everyone has those days. 

Or they did. 

Luckily, Miss Mary J. Blige here created Just Fine so we don't have to have bad days anymore. If you think you're having a bad day, just play this song, and suddenly it's a good day.

Okay, so that's not how it works. But, listen, it helps. 

Overview:

Genre:
R&B

Favorite Lyrics:
So I like what I see when I'm looking at me
when I'm walking past the mirror.

Verdict:
got my vibe right

No comments:

Post a Comment