Sunday, April 10, 2016

Chandelier


Okay But No One Could've Killed It Quite Like Sia 

Chandelier by Sia

Recommended by Crews

"The history behind this song is worth checking out."

This background Crews speaks of can be found on Wikipedia. Basically, Sia was co-writing music for other artists, and Chandelier was originally going to be for Beyoncé or Rihanna. I could definitely see Rihanna on this track - especially the very first voice, I can imagine her accent perfectly. I think it's that reggae influence.

But, obviously, Sia decided to record the song herself and it ended up being a great decision. Her voice sounds great on it, and it gained her a lot of attention. I want to point out that it didn't exactly launch her career - she was like forty years old and had already put out five albums and had great success behind the scenes - but it propelled her into super-stardom.

I have always liked this song well enough. I love Sia's voice, and the chorus is catchy. The only lyrics I ever really caught were I'm gonna swing from the chandelier. It felt like a pretty fun, upbeat song.

Wrong.

If you pay attention to the lyrics, the song is actually quite sad. It's about a "party girl" who embraces the stereotype to the point that she's kind of hiding in it.

Party girls don't get hurt, can't feel anything.

The wikipedia article calls her an alcoholic. She's definitely a binge drinker, at least. She parties, drinks, and hints at sleeping around to feel the love.

But it's not real, none of it. These friends she parties with, all the lovers - they don't actually love her. And this "party girl" persona that comes out after 1, 2, 3+ shots...that's not really who she is. It's a facade. Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cause I'm just holding on for tonight.

She's dealing with stress, helplessness, and shame, and she copes by partying and getting drunk to forget about reality. It feels good in the moment, but then she sobers up and everything hurts. So she goes out and does it again.

Feel my tears as they dry...

In this context, the carefree chorus changes from a celebration of fun and freedom into something much darker. The phrase I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist becomes far more sinister when you realize that this girl honestly doesn't care whether tomorrow comes or not.

I don't want to say this is a common problem, but I've definitely seen this before. I'm in college, and I think the setting lends itself to that kind of substance abuse and dependence. There's so much pressure to go out every night and have a million friends, and sometimes it comes at the expense of things like grades and jobs meaningful relationships.

Maybe some girls drink until they feel like they're the "party girl" they're "supposed" to be. Then they wake up one morning and realize their life is falling apart, but at least they're popular on the dance floor. Or in bed.

It's heartbreaking.

Overview:

Genre:
Electropop

Favorite Lyrics:
I'm just holding on for tonight.

Verdict:
I never thought I'd cry about this song, but listen...

2 comments: