Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Talamak


Mabuhay!

Talamak by Toro Y Moi

Recommended by Kim C.

"Because it's a groovy jam and he's really talented :-)"

The title is in Tagalog! Maybe Toro Y Moi has some Filipino blood. Very cool.

Talamak can mean a few different things. Lyrics Genius says it means "rampant" or "serious," which doesn't make any sort of sense to me. TagalogLang says "serious, critical, hard to cure" or "fallen, prostate" or "addicted" or "drenched, infused."

I'll ask my grandfather about it next time I see him and get back to you.

I like "addicted" and "drenched, infused." Both of these definitions fit well with the lyrics. The character in the song is in love with his ex - "addicted" to his ex, "drenched" in that past love.

The music, more than the lyrics, is what makes this song stand out. It sounds like you're listening to it on an iPhone and you keep covering/uncovering the speaker with your finger. Or if you turn it up, it sounds like it's blasting super loud, filling the room, and you rapidly cover/uncover your ears.

It's the aural equivalent of flashing lights.

I can't tell if I love it, but it's definitely an interesting effect. It suits the song perfectly because you can feel that it's not reality, but you can't tell whether it's a dream or a nightmare. It's disorienting and crazy and I think that might be what it's like for this guy who's still in love with someone who doesn't love him back.

It's almost as if the "flashing sounds" that come in and out are the broken pieces of the dream he was living while he and his ex were in love. Don't focus on them too hard, it'll give you a headache.

Overview:

Genre:
Synthpop / Chillwave

Favorite Lyrics:
How can I tell if I love you anymore?
Nevermind, I know I do.

Verdict:
coming down from a good trip...take me back, take me back

No comments:

Post a Comment