Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Caravan


How About Summer's Future

Caravan by Van Morrison

Recommended by Robert

"This song reminds me of Summer's past. An old song that still brings a smile to my face. This song makes me think of friends bonding together for a common purpose. In the song, it seems to be music, but to me it represents friends gathering to enjoy each other and whatever common purpose has brought them together."

It does seem to be music, since they mention the radio several thousand times. Apparently this is because Van Morrison considered the radio to represent harmony. 

I could hear the radio like it was in the same room. I don't know how to explain it. There was some story about an underground passage under the house I was living in, rumours from kids and stuff and I was beginning to think it was true. How can you hear someone's radio from a mile away, as if it was playing in your own house? So I had to put that into the song, It was a must. (source)

But it also says And the caravan has all my friends, so I think you're right. The important thing is that you're hanging out with people who you want to be around. You could be road tripping up the coast or bowling or drinking beer in the living room at 3 a.m. - it doesn't matter.

I'm glad it still makes you smile after all these years. Music does that - gets better with age.

I never recognize it in the moment. I'm never like, "Wow, I love listening to Ariana Grande with my friends. I'm always going to think about this night when I hear this album."

...But then suddenly it's going to be 2034 and Into You is going to come on the radio and I'll flashback to that night in the mountains and it'll probably be the most vivid memory ever because that's just how that works.

Anyway, I love this guy's voice, gravelly as he shouts his heart out over the drums and guitar. It's friendly, warm sound, and it reminds me of summer's past, too, even though it was before my time. 

Overview:

Genre:
Folk Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Turn it up, that's enough, so you know it's got soul.

Verdict:
who needs clear enunciation with guitars like that

3 comments:

  1. Big Van Morrison fan but hadn't listened to this song until today.
    Your Blog is my favorite way to begin my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good rec, Robert!!! That song has lotsa memories for me too!! Love van Morrison ever since an old friend that I used to work with at Prince gave me one of his CDs...love it! Great memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Van Morrison music always puts me in a calm place no matter how I was feeling before I hear it. For that reason it always makes me nostalgic...love his music...

    ReplyDelete