Saturday, June 4, 2016

Oblivion


What Up, Sansa?

Oblivion by Bastille

"I've always loved Bastille's sound since their debut album Bad Blood (not to be confused with Taylor Swift's hit single). But I really like Oblivion because it has a softer feel than their more well-known songs like Pompeii or Bad Blood. I like that it's a chiller vibe but still has the cool electronic sound to it."

That "softer," "chiller vibe" that you're talking about, combined with the poetic lyrics, comes across as very reflective to me. Those strings take it past thoughtful and into the realm of melancholy. This is a song for listening and for thinking, not so much for partying.

(I feel like the "cool electronic sound" takes a backseat to the piano and violin for most of the track, but I can imagine an intense electro remix. Then maybe it would be for partying. Like this.)

It's easy to imagine listening to this song on the grayest days. Here, you might need this: Rainy Mood

I love the vocals here, the mellow tone and the thick accent. Even the passages with the highest notes come out muted and lovely rather than shrill. When the cavernous harmonies are added, it sounds ethereal. Like they're standing on the edge of oblivion and there's an echo.

The melancholy vibes of the vocals and the instrumentals are perfectly matched by the lyrics, as well. They're beautiful and introspective, wondering about the future and mortality and, I think, a close friend or lover suffering from depression.

When Oblivion is calling out your name...

Real talk: I only knew Pompeii before this because it was all over the radio a while back. But now that I know (and love) a whopping TWO of their songs, I think I'll have to check out more from these dudes.

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
When you're in my arms,
but you've gone somewhere deeper.

Verdict:
Pensive

No comments:

Post a Comment