Sunday, June 5, 2016

Wasted


As in Squandered, Not Turnt

Wasted by The Summer Set

Recommended by Grace N.

"I love how this song talks about their fear of growing up (which as seniors in college now we can relate to) but also how it encourages everyone to take advantage of being young. Things will work out in the end. The future might be unknown, but we have control over what happens now...and this song makes me want to do just that. (I don't know if you have heard of this band but Brian, the lead singer, is good friends with 5SOS 😀)"

The song starts at 0:43 if you're one of those people.

Grace, thanks so much for the recommendation! I love love love this song now, and I hadn't heard of this band before.

The wikipedia article is interesting because apparently The Summer Set's first album was alt rock / pop punk, then their second album was emo pop / reggae pop, and their third album was country pop. I would really like to listen to that progression.

I'd have to listen to all of this new fourth album (and I intend to) before I make a comment on where their sound is going, but Wasted definitely has a more pop rock sound. It's pretty soft.

That said, the subject matter is still very pop punk, from the concept of living it up while you're young to the hope that maybe someday we'll never get older. I can't even put into words how much I adore themes like this. Takes me back to middle school.

My first reaction when Grace said "seniors in college" was to physically shudder, so yeah, I agree that we can relate to the fear of growing up. I love songs that encourage us to take advantage of youth before it slips away. I've always wondered, though, at what point this kind of music stops being fun.

When do you stop thinking this could really be a good life and start thinking this has really been a good life?

But I digress, and that's the wrong song, anyway.

Back to Wasted, I like when the last repetition of that turn the lights on refrain drops all the instruments, and you just hear voices echoing in unison. Anthemic.

I'm about to listen to this song on repeat for the next 10 years, so that's good. Thanks again, Grace!

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Youth wasn't wasted on us.

Verdict:
This is going to start a revolution on my favorite playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment