Sunday, June 26, 2016

One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)


Happy Birthday Bella <3

One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks) by One Direction

Recommended by Mom

"Bella's turning 19 and headed to the UK on her birthday with JoJo (and me). Both are avid 1D fans and hope to find and meet their British soulmates - one way or another ;). Maybe 1D will feel charitable towards them...Beautiful Bella! Hope it's a memorable birthday for my delightful and treasured gift from God <3"

Excellent choice. I feel like the lyrics here are perfect for the situation you've described. I mean:

I will drive past your house.

I'll follow your bus downtown.

Aww, looks like the lads really do understand their fans.

(Blondie wrote this about a creepy stalker-ish ex-boyfriend. Same difference. x)

Besides the #relatability of the lyrics, the song was recorded for a good cause: Comic Relief. It's a British charity that seems to do some good work in the U.K. and around the world.

Plus, it's just a really fun track.

One Direction cover two songs at once, Blondie's One Way Or Another and the Undertones' Teenage Kicks. The resulting mashup is softer and bouncier than the punk rock originals - it's "exactly what you’d expect when One Direction cover Blondie" (Sager of PopCrush) - and that's fine.

A word about covers in general: I usually prefer when they're not exactly like the original. Why would you redo a song if you don't think you can do it better? Or at least put a new spin on it - my absolute favorite covers are the ones where you have to say, "I don't know which one is better! They're just so different."

(Unless you're a cover band and imitation is your whole game.)

I'm so glad they decided to do a medley instead of a straight-up cover of either of the two songs. That way, they're able to keep the catchy, familiar melody of One Way or Another intact, but it's still new and interesting because of all that overlap with Teenage Kicks.

Good luck to Bella and JoJo! Hope your birthday celebration is everything you want and more <3

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
I don't know about lyrics, but this part where they sing Teenage Kicks on top of the Na Na Nas from One Way Or Another is fire.

Verdict:
I always love a medley.

P.S. I love how One Direction has five four (I miss Zayn so much) different singers that share the lyrics fairly equally. You get to hear several different vocals on each track, and half the fun is trying to figure out who's singing at every part.

1 comment:

  1. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ˜πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§Thank you for reviewing
    Always enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete