Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sebastian


Why Don't I Go to Concerts More Often?

Sebastian by Reptar

Recommended by Kim C.

"ATHENS PRIDE AM I RIGHT??? Gotta support them locally first y'know? I haven't fully listened to their latest album, so I'm falling back on this fun, carefree jam. Uh...go dawgs??"

Full disclosure: I received this recommendation a few months ago, so it's entirely possible that Kim has had a chance to listen to the entirety of Lurid Glow by now.

I didn't love the vocals here on the first listen, but they quickly grew on me. I think it goes really well with the music, and it transitions flawlessly into that section where it's more like he's speaking than singing.

The whole package just works - a unique voice singing quirky lyrics over a fun, funky line of accompaniment.

I like the way the two strums of the guitar frame the lyrics of the verses, and it makes it all the more gratifying when the instrumental line fills out. That sliiiide up on the guitar is my favorite thing, y'all.

Lyrically, the song is a little on the abstract side. The first line of the song suggests that the title is an allusion to Saint Sebastian, and the music video makes this connection obvious. If there are any other hints throughout the song, though, they escape me.

And don't bother asking about Albion because I have no idea.

The overall vibe is positive, and it seems to be vaguely romantic. It put me in a good mood, regardless, and I don't mind a bit that I can't get those oh oh oh ohs out of my head.

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
And if the pills don't do it, throw them away.

I see the stars are sitting next to me.

Verdict:
kind of a road trip song

No comments:

Post a Comment