Sunday, June 19, 2016

A Capella


This Kid is 20

A Capella by Chase Goehring

Recommended by Kim C.

"I think I found a mini Ed Sheeran???"

I wish you hadn't made that comparison because I wanted to do it. This guy's style is so similar to Ed Sheeran's. I'd be surprised if he didn't list Sheeran as a source of inspiration - he even says people say I sound British when I say things...Even though he's from California (x).

Plus, they've got that solo "guy and a guitar" thing going. And they spit out lyrics at approximately 7,000 words per minute.

And they're both red-heads.

(This lyric was too much: I would say that I put my soul all up in them, but I am a ginger. You know how that goes.)

To take the comparison a little further, a little narrower: A Capella is Chase Goehring's version of You Need Me, I Don't Need You by Ed Sheeran. Shall we do a line-by-line comparison?

Sheeran: I sing and write my own tune and I write my own verse. Hell, don't need another word-smith to make my tune sell.
Goehring: 'Cause if they people like it then the people buy it. Why would I wanna hire another writer just to take it higher?

I honestly don't mean anything bad by that. There are probably a million songs by up-and-coming artists that have the same theme. And, anyway, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right?

I'm actually super into most of Goehrig's lyrics. I dig the parts that sound like he's dissing someone.

You lied to your fans. I'm singing from my shadow, you can call that shade. Bitch, who lied? I need to know everything.

And if you think I'm irrelevant, well then I must be relevant because you took the time to listen to my song. Are we talking about a general "you" or is there a specific someone out there?

I'm invested.

And yet on occasion, I'm like "calm down, son." Like, if you're shaming people for having casual hook-ups, then maybe you don't have class and respect. And, tbh, if you feel the need to say I've got class and respect then perhaps that says something.

Also see, my lyrics are different. That's a pet peeve of mine. Come on, your lyrics are good, but you're not the only one out there writing good lyrics, my dude.

Still, I'll probably end up checking out the rest of this guy's stuff. I mean, he's talented. I always admire an artist that writes their own lyrics and plays their own instruments. The vocals have a great rhythm, and this song is overall just a really enjoyable listen.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
The only competition I see is myself.

Verdict:
he's not a rapper, he's a singer with flow

No comments:

Post a Comment