Friday, June 3, 2016

In Color


I'm Not Crying; You're Crying

In Color by Jamie Johnson

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"This song tells the story of a many going through some family photos with his grandfather. It brings back memories of my grandfather for me. I loved him so much! I miss you Granddaddy..."

This song made me cry so hard. I was already tearing up at the first chorus, but I lost it completely at the last verse. You can't tell it here, but it was hot that June. That rose was red, and her eyes were blue. That made me think of Lola, with her blue eyes.

I just spent five amazing days with my grandparents last week, and this made me miss them.

I love the idea that this song is about a bonding experience between grandparent and grandchild, I do. But what gets me the most is how the grandfather remembers so much about each picture. It's easy to see older people - grandparents, parents - as they are now and forget that they had a life before you were born. That's wild. I hope my kids and grandchildren will want to hear my story.

Jamie Johnson's voice isn't phenomenal. He's not hitting amazing notes or sustaining the purest tone. But he delivers on the emotion, which is what really matters. As poignant as the lyrics are, I wouldn't be as affected without Johnson's expressive vocals.

The melody doesn't require the vocalist to belt anything out, and riffs would've taken away from the simple, genuine message anyway. Country music is the best for songs like this. I wouldn't change a thing.

Fun Fact: The black and white photos spread on the floor in the music video were borrowed from Johnson's grandmother. (x)

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
That's the story of my life right there in black and white.

Verdict:
Hold on, there's something in my eye.
(And my heart.)

3 comments: