Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Gasoline


Hit the Pedal Heavy Metal

Gasoline by Halsey

Recommended by Bella

"She gets crap for being the typical indie girl singer, but I enjoyed her debut album. This song and Drive are probably my favorites."

Yeah, I liked her album, too. I already covered one of the singles from Badlands (Ghost) and was happy to get another Halsey rec.

I'm glad you like this one and Drive...I listened to this album everyday during fall semester last year, while I was taking road trips all over the southeast. So I think about Gasoline and Drive a lot.

You're right that she gets a lot of crap. People make fun of her for being Directioner before she became famous, and they drag up all these "receipts" from an old tumblr account. I've definitely seen her called out "for being the typical indie girl singer," too.

But, like, whatever.

I think the album has a lot going for it, and I really like this song. The story is very clear, talking about the struggles Halsey faces as she becomes more of a "celebrity" and ascends further into the public eye. I think describes them well with lyrics that are dramatic but poetic.

The strings sound cool in the background.

Actually, there's a lot of cool stuff going on in the background. If you're familiar with the rest of the album, then you'll catch the reference to her other song Hurricane here. That kind of thing helps tie the whole album together (though I think there's already a pretty cohesive concept, thematically).

Enjoy.

Overview:

Genre:
Electropop

Favorite Lyrics:
You can't wake up; this not a dream.

Verdict:
A good track from one of my favorite albums of 2015.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...I like this a lot. I miss some good music like this because I don't really know where to look in today's seemingly endless number of new artists. I will definitely give this album a listen...thanks for this one to light ladies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I feel that. Glad my blog is doing its job.

      Delete