Monday, June 13, 2016

My Shot


My Shot from Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda

The Tonys were tonight, so I figured I should cover a song from the musical that rounded up 11 of its 16 nominations.

Lin-Manuel Miranda admits this song took an entire year to write because he was trying to write a "super fun" track that sounded like an '80s "party rap." Plus, he needed it to introduce Hamilton's character perfectly and establish him as the most intelligent person in the room and "literally in a different dimension than everyone else" (x).

I'd say it pays off. This entire song is entertaining, but Hamilton's verses are far and away the most enjoyable. I could listen to those rhythms indefinitely.

The track is plot-heavy since it provides the introductions for several characters, and the narrative is often too specific to Hamilton to reach outside listeners. For example, Lafayette and his French accent are great for the full performance, but it keeps the track from reaching out to an outside audience.

(Which, you know, isn't a bad thing. It's not supposed to be relatable to everyone who tunes into the Top 40 radio stations. It's supposed to introduce the characters and themes of a Broadway musical.)

That said, there are certainly parts that have a wide appeal. Before the mention of colonies, it's great to sing along to the first Rise Up section.

That's one of the catchiest part of the track, next to the addicting rhythm of I am not throwingawaymy shot.

My favorite thing is near the ending, where the Rise Up and Not Throwing Away My Shot sections come together in this spirited, uplifting mash-up. Best 10 seconds of my life.

Overview:

Genre:
Hip Hop

Favorite Lyrics:
The problem is I got a lotta brains but no polish.

Verdict:
and the Tony goes to...

No comments:

Post a Comment