Monday, June 20, 2016

The Lazy Song


I Am Immune to Cabin Fever

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars

Recommended by Rachel

"This is the ultimate summer anthem, especially for those extra hot days."

Bless Bruno Mars (and K'naan and two others) for writing a song about literally nothing.

Alessia Cara released a song about how she's too chill for house parties and would rather just hang out with a small group of friends, and I thought she understood me...

But then I remembered that Bruno's out there like "Woah, girl, can we bring it back a notch."

He understands me.

I definitely pick up what you're putting down about "those extra hot days."

This song says tomorrow I'll wake up, do some P90X, etc. But picture this: NEXT MONTH I'll wake up, do some P90X. I mean, it's summertime in Athens. All days from tomorrow until September are "those extra hot days." I refuse to move until classes start in August.

I appreciate that this theme of laziness permeates every aspect of this song. We've got straightforward lyrics, a simple and catchy melody, and an easy tempo. Even the accompaniment only uses three lines: an acoustic guitar, a scratcher, and a drum track (x).

That scratcher adds a lot, actually. It's commonly used in steel bands, which most people associate with the soothing sounds of the Caribbean. A great place to lounge about, I'm sure.

Unfortunately, last year, I used The Lazy Song as my alarm. This was a mistake because a) it provided zero motivation to actually wake up and get out of bed and b) the intro now reminds me of work, which runs completely contrary to the meaning of the song.

Alas.

Hope everyone's having a good summer so far :-)

Overview:

Genre:
Reggae Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything.

Verdict:
This is the ultimate #me anthem, literally for any day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment