Thursday, June 16, 2016

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic


On and On

Everything She Does is Magic by Sting (The Police)

"Hard for me to choose just one Sting song. You choose, please. My husband and I loved Sting and all these make me remember him in happy and loving ways."

More lovely memories!

I decided on Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic because I've heard it once or twice, and I want to familiarize myself with it a little more. It's very much a "feel-good" song.

I linked the live version of Sting performing this song for a couple reasons. First and most importantly, you requested that I do a song by Sting. Second, this was my favorite version of all the ones I found on YouTube. Third, Sting wrote the song up to five years before it was finally recorded by The Police in 1981.

The Police version can be found here.

I thought I might try to do a comparison between the two versions, but it's tough when the recordings are so different.

Is the piano part actually more prominent in the version by The Police? Or does it just sound that way because the keyboard comes through more cleanly in the studio versus on stage?

If it were the case that the keyboard is more prominent in The Police's version, I would be surprised. Sting is the one who hired the pianist against the wishes of his band mates who thought it didn't fit with the image of The Police (x).

Anyway, Sting's voice is a big part of what makes this song great, and that doesn't change between the versions.

Other than that, I dig the contrast between the verses and the chorus. The verses are a little more subdued in volume and smaller in range, as well as more reflective in its message. It's like we get a little backstory that makes the bouncy chorus all the more enjoyable.

Overview:

Genre:
New Wave

Favorite Lyrics:
It's a big enough umbrella, 
But it's always me that ends up getting wet.

(Reminds me of Titanic, how Jack maybe could have fit on that floating headboard right along with Rose. Plus, this song says now my love for her goes on. Am I wrong to think of something else?)

Verdict:
Upbeat and good for singing along as you dance alone and jump on your bed

No comments:

Post a Comment