Tuesday, June 28, 2016

One Last Breath


Too Tired

One Last Breath by Creed

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"I love this song. I became enamored with the band Creed in the ‘90s...I loved their music. The lead singer, Scott Stapp, who wrote most (if not all) of their music with lead guitarist Mark Tremonti (brilliant), had a voice that really spoke to me...like many others I have recommended, he emotes well. I love his tone and how their music deals with religious themes. I guess it intrigues me when 'rock' bands deal with religious content. This song seems to be coming from someone toying with suicide but still wanting help and someone to save him.
Honestly I love it for the music, vocals and dynamics of this song. This is mostly why I like all of Creed's music. I saw them in concert at least 5 times. Loved every show. Loved every version of Scott Stapp that I saw. Check this out as well as some other Creed songs. I am sure you have heard several of their songs. Most people have. Higher, With Arms Wide Open. Tell me what you think..."

You're right - I've definitely heard this band's music before. Some good stuff. I hear the emotion that you talked about in every song, in the rasp of Stapp's voice.

In this track, the emotion comes from the vocals more than the instrumentation. The guitar that introduces the song and underlays the verses is beautiful, but it's more sweet and melodic than sad. Without the voice and lyrics, we couldn't define the mood as miserable rather than simply pensive.

We get a stronger guitar/bass/drum accompaniment, with those rich power chords, when we arrive at the chorus. It emphasizes the desperation of the lyrics as this man contemplates his own death.

I agree with the analysis that this guy is "toying with suicide" but "still wanting...someone to save him," and I agree that the song is religious. Put the two together, and I think he's thinking about jumping but wanting God to save him.

At first, I thought this was about a broken romance, but now I'm diving completely into the broken faith interpretation.

He says I yelled back when I heard thunder. He's angry with God.

He says I thought I found the road to somewhere, somewhere in His grace. He cries out, Heaven save me, but he finds himself out on a ledge anyway. He feels that God has let him down once again.

So when we get to the part where he says I still believe there's something left for you and me, maybe he's asking God to stay with him. Maybe he's trying to realign himself with the only thing that can get him off that road to nowhere.

Overview:

Genre:
Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
It seems I've found the road to nowhere,
and I'm trying to escape.

Verdict:
song is deep - 6 ft deep

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ali. Again, love your comments. You mentioned some things I missed(as always) and I have a deeper appreciation for this song as a result. Love your thoughts...love u 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete